Monday, March 05, 2012

These Boobs Were Made for Feeding...

As of today my son is 21-months old. He will be 2 years old in June. I have been breastfeeding him since he was born (within an hour of his birth actually) and I don't plan on stopping just because you aren't comfortable with it!

I understand that breastfeeding isn't for everyone and I don't think that I've put any pressure on my friends when it comes to feeding their own children, so why is it so hard for people - my friends and family included - to accept the fact that this is what I've decided is best for my child?

"Extended breastfeeding" as it is popularly known in North America, is defined as breastfeeding your child after the age of one. Meanwhile, across the world, the average time a woman breastfeeds her child is four years! The World Heath Organization ("WHO") - the people we trust when it comes to pretty much anything health-related, including SARS and H1N1 - recommend breastfeeding until at least the age of two. I get it, breastfeeding a toddler is "weird" but you know what? So are lots of things.

I plan on continuing to breastfeed until my son and I are both ready to stop and not a minute earlier. If you don't like it then don't ask me about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment