Friday, June 08, 2012

I've Been Everywhere, Man

For those of you who know me, you may already know that I grew up in a military family. For some people that means that they've moved cross-country, or at least inter-provincially (in Canada at least). For me it means that I moved cross-continentally!

I was born in Lahr, Germany in 1986. My father was posted there for 3 years (1985-1988) so my brother and I were both born there. I also got to live in Peiking (now Beijing), China for 3 years (1990-1993). Moving around so much was definitely hard, especially as I grew up and made friends and left them behind. I have managed to keep in touch with a few but never enough. Despite the difficulty in pulling up your roots and moving to a new place, I was given a wonderful opportunity to visit so many places and experience so many cultures! I have been to Australia, Thailand, Japan, the United States, and several countries in Europe (though I don't remember any of the latter). The only continents I have never been to are South America and Africa (and Antarctica...), both of which I would love to visit sometime in the next 40 years of my life!

I guess I'm just writing this to tell you all to travel as much as you can. Even if it is just to another province or city because every place you go will be different. Every person you meet will have different experiences and stories to tell you.

I also wanted to give a shout-out to my German, Russian and U.K. readers. I know you're out there and I just wanted to say Hi! and Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment