Friday, October 12, 2012

A Promise is a Promise!

So I've been slacking on this blog, I could come up with a million excuses but really I just haven't known what to write about.

A new friend of mine recently started a blog and she's been bugging me to update so I promised her that I would; Ashley, a promise is a promise so here is my blog post!

Promises tend to be a bit fickle these days and I think that the reason for that is that too many promises are being made. Like money, the more there is out there, the more it loses its value. If you make all kinds of promises like "I promise to do the dishes" or "I promise to take the dog for a walk" or "I promise to come listen to your new band play" the really important ones like "I promise to be there for you" or "I promise to love you forever" or even "for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health..." don't mean what they did before.

The only way to maintain the value of a promise is to keep it. Every. Single. One. If you break a small promise because you "forgot" or "got too busy" then it sends out the signal that you don't put much stock in your promises. How is the promisee supposed to trust that the promiser will keep the "big" promises if they can't even keep the small ones?

So, this is my goal: to keep every single promise I make; big or small. I also will try not to make so many promises, especially if I don't think I can keep them.

My friends and family, if I make you a promise and I break it - call me on it. I need to know and I need to be held responsible. If you aren't held accountable for your promises, how are you supposed to know whether or not they are worth anything?

2 comments:

  1. Very true! People run around throwing out promises like they are confetti.

    This is a good thing to start paying attention to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Good thing to think about!

    -Blog stalker...I mean Al

    ReplyDelete