Wednesday, January 16, 2013

2013 So Far

Well, 2013 has started off to be a pretty good year for me. Nothing fabulous has happened, but nothing terrible either. I've felt better than I have in months and I'm looking forward to the months to come!

Last fall I participated in a 14-week anxiety management program through a local organization (ADAO). Although my main issue is depression, taking this course still gave me a bunch of new tools to deal with stress and anxiety on a day-to-day basis. We all have anxiety, it's a normal and healthy part of life - it's just how much anxiety you get and how you deal with it that can cause problems.

One of the tools we learned about in the program was Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). While I will admit that at first I didn't really understand it, it is something that I am really looking forward to using more in my day-to-day life. My doctor actually referred me to a Social Worker who specializes in CBT and I met her for the first time this week. We went through my history (again) and she gave me a much broader explanation of what CBT is and how it works. Once I get a better grasp of it maybe I'll blog about it in more detail later.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that this year will be better than the last and that I will be able to maintain my good mood, for a few more months at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment